Monday-Sunday: 10:00-18:00 +36 30 / click

The Palace Park Royal Palace of Gödöllő

HU EN DE
Királyi Kastély

The Palace Park

The Palace Park

Antal Grassalkovich I acquired Gödöllô and the neighbouring settlements in a gradual fashion between 1723 and 1748. Gödöllô, situated in the valley of the Rákos brook and having favourable natural endowments, was chosen to be made the centre of this area that was now unified in Antal Grassalkovich I’s possession. Parallel to the construction of the palace, plans were drawn up to consciously develop the settlement on a large scale. As part of this project, Grassalkovich had a palace garden made, which was divided into an upper and a lower garden by the palace itself. The garden, which clearly represented elements of aristocratic taste, financial well-being and political power alike, was created in French style, with Versailles serving as a model for it. An outstandingly unique feature of this formal garden is that it had not been placed in front of the main facade but is a continuation of the inner court bordered by the wings of the palace. The court was made splendid by lemon, orange and bay trees.
    The niche of the southern wing already had an operating small wall fountain in the time of Antal Grassalkovich I: the Baroque statue evokes an eventful scene with Heracles, a figure of Greek mythology, defeating the lion. The ornamental court, bordered by ballustrade, joined the upper garden by means of stairs. The upper garden had its end at about 440 metres (400 yards) from the building. The area between the rows of trees fringing the garden at both sides was divided by regular shaped flower beds. In the middle of the garden there was a fountain with formally-cut plants and a labyrinth behind.
    In the north-western part, portraits of Hungarian rulers were displayed in the pavilion standing on the so-called Kinghill. Opposite this, a rifle-range for shooting had also been put up. The formal garden also had great reputation for its plants that came as rarity in Hungary as well as its statues inspired by mythology. The lower garden was also fragmented by straight, treelined roads so typical of the Baroque landscape architecture. The vegetable-garden, the game park and the pheasantry were also created here.
    Bowing to the predominant trends of the age, the French garden was converted into an English, or in other words, a landscape garden towards the beginning of the 19th century by Antal Grassalkovich III (1771–1841) and his wife Leopoldina Esterházy (1776–1868). The stone fencing located at the back end of the upper garden had been taken down so that the size of the park could be enlarged. Certain elements of the garden had been left intact (among them the line of horse-chestnut trees, the Kinghill and the rifle-range), however, this newly-created park gave way to expressions and feelings of romanticism and sentimentalism rather than to the noble display of the older one. The park now became a finely-struck combination of gorgeous flower-beds sporting most extraordinary flowersand groups of trees found in a softlyarching system of paths. By ponding up the Rákos brook, two swan-ponds had been formed in 1817. The year 1837 brought along the construction of another orange-house, which further expanded the northern wing of the palace.
    Following the extinction of the Grassalkovich family’s male line (1841), the property was sequestered for a period of 9 years. Military action in the 1848–49 freedom fight presented major abuses to the palace with the orange trees having been burnt, the fencing being wholly demolished and the stock of game dispersing.
    After two interim owners, the palace and the domain were finally purchased by the Hungarian state in 1867. The state let free use of the palace and the park for Francis Joseph I (1830–1916) and Queen Elizabeth (1837–1898) as a coronation present. The small fore-courts in front of the main facade were intended for personal use by the king and the queen. Both fore-courts had a fringe of trees of lush foliage. The fore-court used by the king served as the scene for his daily walks. Its appearance was much simpler and less colourful than that of the Queen’s fore-court, in which the favourite flowers of the queen were planted (violets and sweet violets). A small wooden porch had been built outside the queen’s ground-floor rooms with exit to the garden. This is where the small wooden corridor started, through which it was possible for Elizabeth to get to the ridinghall in bad weather.
The ornamental court of the palace thanked its lovely atmosphere to a number of orange trees and yuccas. The landscape garden characteristics of the upper garden had been preserved all along.
    The so-called Reservé-garden (plant-starting garden) had been established south of the line of horse-chestnut trees, where in 1870 a palm-house, and then later, in 1895 a greenhouse was built. This was where the plants intended to be planted in the park were grown. In the south-western corner of the garden a nursery-garden was operating. At the end of the line of horse-chestnut trees, there stood a richly-ornamented wooden pavilion and the rifle-range renewed in 1875 was also there. In front of the orange-house, a skittlealley was to be found. When the royal family resided at the palace, the park was closed for the public, otherwise it was free to visit it in the given opening hours.
   The lower park was split into two by the northern railway line that was routed in this direction as a result of the ruler’s residence being situated here. The two swan-ponds at the front façade were banked up in 1873 and 1894. The pheasantry and the game park were kept due to the royal hunts. The lower park, which was still surrounded by a fence, was free to use for the public.
    After World War I, the palace became the resting-residence of governor Miklós Horthy (1868–1957). Only minor changes were applied to the landscape garden in this period (1920–1944). In the fore-court that once used to belong to the queen, an air-raid shelter was constructed. A circular fountain-pool of unreasonable proportions was added to the inner court. Farther down inside the park, they built a swimming pool with a small dressing-room that was in line with the end of the row of horsechestnut trees. Next to the major-domo’s building there used to be a tennis-court. From all of these, only the swimming pool is what still exists today.
The decades to come after World War II had witnessed a slow deterioration of the garden. New buildings (ware-houses, kindergarten) were put up in the neglected and weedy park, where a great number of out of place plants were planted. The rebirth of the park came with the reconstruction of the palace that gained momentum in 1994. This concerned mainly the 26.1-hectare upper park as the lower park is now a built-up public area.
    The two fore-courts were reconstructed in 1998 and 2000 in accordance with how they used to be in the royal period. In the queen’s fore-court the protruding, visible part of the Horthy air-raid shelter was demolished at this time. The swimming pool, which was a remnant of the Horthy era, was also dismantled and the place was given ornamental flooring and balustrade. The upper park still preserves the structure of the English or landscape garden. It is characterised by trees one hundred years old or older. Among the most precious tree species are gingko, Wellingtonia trees, ashes, white limes, yew-trees, maples, white oaks and ordinary horse-chestnut trees.

In the back of the park there remained patches of grass that are inhabited by protected plant species such as thlaspi, centaurea and ranunculus. The area of the park has been cleansed of out-of place plants, nursing of affected trees has begun and young trees have been planted.
    The fore-courts and the upper park were declared natural preserves in 1998. The reconstruction of the Kinghill pavilion was completed in 2004. A 5.2 hectare area of the upper park was renewed in 2010 as a romantic landscape garden.


Actual

News and informations

Story cube – a new educational tool

Story cube – a new educational tool

Together with the Museum of King Jan III’s Palace at Wilanów and the Italian non-governmental organisation Stazione Utopia, we exchange knowledge and experiences as well as train and teach how to encourage local communities gathered around museums to engage in voluntary work and how to talk about cultural, natural and historical heritage in an interesting manner. Together with our colleagues from Hungary and Italy, we have created a publicly available educational tool – the story cube that supports volunteers and educators in learning how to build a unique story, organise arguments, build independent judgments about the object or phenomenon in question, while incorporating their own stories and experiences. Activities implemented as part of the project: International Learning, Teaching, Training (LTT) meetings, during which a group of experts from Wilanów, Gödöllő and Florence selected in the programme exchanges good practice and then trains one another in areas such as working with volunteers and immigrants as well as creating an engaged community around institutions. Four meetings: two in Warsaw and two in Florence and Gödöllő, respectively, have been held during the course of the project. Transnational Project Meetings (TPMs) in each of the participating organisations help us implement our planned activities effectively. Developing an educational tool, known as the story cube. The tool supports the adult education personnel in contacting the local community and engaging it in activities related to the voluntary programme. An online seminar to discuss the experiences we have gained and disseminate the educational tool we have developed is to be held in January 2023. Writing a series of articles on informal adult education and engaging the local community in the activities of institutions. Feel free to check out the materials on the Electronic Platform for Adult Learning in Europe (EPALE): Local community engagement in museum programs: practices, experiences and challenges and Też tak chcę! Story cube – a new educational tool   As part of the Erasmus+ project, “Museum of Communities”, along with our partners from the Museum of King Jan III’s Palace at Wilanów and the non-governmental organisation Stazione Utopia in Florence, we have created a new publicly available educational tool.The story cube supports our work with volunteers in terms of creating engaging and unique stories about museum items. We have designed not one but two cubes: senses cube, to support the process of experiencing objects through our senses; mind cube, to encourage users to think and reflect critically. Story cubes allow the users to ask questions about heritage objects and look at them in a new manner, inspiring them to learn collectively and have a discussion. The tool may be used with both beginners and advanced storytellers. Story cubes are a universal solution to be used in adult education. The project has been co-financed by the European Commission from the Erasmus+ programme supporting strategic partnerships at a European level. Projects related to education and training promote the development of knowledge in Europe and make it possible to achieve the objectives of the Europe 2020 strategy – sustainable development and social inclusion. Download the detailed instructions and a graphic template for the story cubes: Erasmus+ Storycube black and white Erasmus+ Storycube color Erasmus+ Mindcube black and white Erasmus+ Mindcube color Instructions
Read more
CaFE IDA is waiting for you

Our Cafe is waiting for you

CaFE IDA is waiting for you! Here are some pictures:  
Read more
Maintenance period

Maintenance period

  From the 30th of January 2023 until the end of March 2023, various rooms in the permanent exhibition will be closed due to the annual maintenance work. We provide regular information about the schedule on our Facebook page and website. Due to room closures, we offer a 25% discount on the price of our permanent exhibition and combined ticket. Entry to the museum is possible every half-hour. Between the 30th of January and 10th of February, the entire Elisabeth wing is expected to be closed, as well as the Corner Room in the Gizella wing.
Read more
The queen's furniture has returned home!

The queen's furniture has returned home!

The queen's furniture has returned home! Queen Elizabeth's personal furniture, dressing table and glass showcase arrived at the Royal Castle in Gödöllő   Dr. Tamás Ujváry, the managing director of the Royal Palace of Gödöllő Public Benefit Nonprofit Ltd., reminded that the castle operates as a real Sisi cult place. The building also celebrates its anniversary, as it was abandoned by the Soviet army thirty years ago and then opened in 1996, albeit only in part, to visitors in 1996. The anniversary is also connected with the arrival of the two special pieces of furniture, which were successfully repurchased with the help of the National Castle Program and the NÖF, said Dr. Tamás Ujváry. Speaking about the National Castle Program and the National Castle Program, which he supervised as a ministerial commissioner, Zsolt Virág said that they are aimed not only at the restoration of the buildings, but also at their mental rehabilitation. This includes returning any former furnishings to the walls, he noted. According to him, Queen Elizabeth's former dressing table and glazed display case appeared at an auction in Germany, where they were bought back at a starting price, and from Friday the public can meet the artefacts in the castle's permanent exhibition in the queen's dressing room.  
Read more

Follow us on social media!

Actuality

Opening hours

Monday-Sunday 10:00-17:00

Ticket office closes at 16:00


Contact

Phone number:+36 30 / click
E-mail:click