The palm house in the upper park, which consists of two wings, was built in 1870, in the times of Queen Elizabeth. It was a well-equipped, modern construction with an iron framework modelled on Austrian designs. Beside it there was a space for hotbeds and dwellings for the gardeners. In 1895, heatable greenhouses were added. From 1950, the palace was used as a barracks for Soviet troops. The palm house was also part of the requisitioned area and by the 1990s it was in an atrocious condition. The building was reconstructed in 1997, and at present it serves horticultural functions once again.