The palm house in the upper park, which consists of two wings, was built in 1870, in the times of Queen Elizabeth. It was a well-equipped, modern construction with an iron framework modelled on Austrian designs. Beside it there was a space for hotbeds and dwellings for the gardeners. In 1895, heatable greenhouses were added. From 1950, the palace was used as a barracks for Soviet troops.